Posted In // Office Ergonomics
Reasons coworking has become popularWhile the traditional office may still be preferred by many, it is generally declining as a model because of the emergence of greater schedule and location flexibility. Here are a few reasons that office space is increasingly shifting toward coworking:
• Members of the workforce place an enormous amount of value on the ability to change work hours as needed. A report from Millennial Branding reveals that 45% of millennials think schedule flexibility is a higher priority than pay.
• Entrepreneurship is on the rise. People who are in their younger work years will often want to create startups or join the staff of one. In 2015, the Kauffmann Foundation found that 54% of American millennials either have started a business or want to do so.
• Interaction occurs more often in coworking because of the intimacy of the environment.• Freebies are universally appreciated. Coworking facilities standardly have free snacks, coffee, and fast internet.
How the traditional office is changing to stay relevantAs indicated above, it will benefit you to offer scheduling flexibility and perhaps projects that incorporate traits of entrepreneurialism. Other elements of coworking can also be integrated. According to the Society of Industrial and Office Realtors (SIOR), three primary points of focus are:
• Open floor seating. People have questioned the open office floor plan in recent years, but this approach is certainly helpful in emulating coworking space. According to a Gallup report, these designs work when the organizations that adopt them embrace flexibility, accept our natural need for a sense of "home," and redefine productivity to better incorporate collaboration.
• Common areas and game rooms. There are a couple of reasons that games can be especially powerful, noted Jayson Demers in Inc. It gives people a way to unwind and relax, yielding stronger productivity once they start working again. Also, when you have a game such as pool, foosball, or ping-pong, it will help with building rapport and morale.
• Free coffee and snacks. Food and drinks “on the house” is always appreciated.