The calendar has turned to a new year. It’s time to decide what we want to accomplish in 2018. If it’s finding success professionally, some simple skills can help it happen.
Chances are you have the hard skills you need to do your job. Those are things like knowing the programming language you need if you’re a programmer or how to process invoices if you work in accounting.
It’s the soft skills that might need some work.
Behaviors to Make You Stand Out
Simple qualities can help you find more satisfaction with yourself and that can translate to professional success.
- Tell the truth and be authentic. If you know who you are and what you want, you are better able to go after it. People can see through dishonesty and once you lose someone’s trust, it is difficult to get it back.
- Find time for the people who matter in your life. The people who care about you will be the ones who will be there for you when you need to talk through an idea or need support. They refuel you.
- Challenge yourself. As you accomplish things you didn’t think you could do, you gain confidence and knowledge.
- Communicate in a powerful way. Know your material and advocate for yourself.
- Be open to criticism. Nobody likes getting it, but making yourself open to different perspectives can help you see things in a way you did not see them before. Getting defensive can close you off to other ideas.
Banish Bad Behaviors
Just as there are some things to add to your life to help you achieve success, there are also some things to get rid of.
- Stop thinking you’re entitled to success. If you want to achieve something, go after it and make it happen. Don’t wait for someone to bring it to you.
- Ask for advice. Someone might know how to do something better than you do and you could learn from them. Ask for help if you need it. Don’t make things harder on yourself than you have to.
- Learn from mistakes. Nobody is perfect and taking the time to figure out what you did wrong will help keep you from making the same mistake again.
- Stop comparisons. You are you. You are not your coworker. If the people you compare yourself to have qualities you like, figure out what those qualities are and emulate them. Don’t compare yourself to them.
- Don’t put things off. Not every task brings you enjoyment, but the longer you procrastinate, the worse it seems. Make sure you are prepared for what comes your way.
- Stop complaining and try to stay positive. If all you do is see the negative in things, people will want to stay away from you. If you do need to complain about something, try to have a solution that could fix the problem.
Proper Work Space
Make sure your work spaces promotes productive habits. Have a calendar handy and use it. Set alarms to remind you of meeting times. Reduce the number of distractions and take breaks when you need them.
The professionals at Beaux-Arts Group can help you design a workspace that is efficient and productive.